Saturday 13 August 2016

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Review:

I know I haven't posted a book review in a while but that's because since July 22nd apparently (according to goodreads) I've been reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Sorry that this took forever guys. Honestly I just want to say that Harry Potter is a great series but it's not exactly my usual style or age group. Also this book in particular was extremely long as is the next one, 734 (this one) and 870 (book 5). Hopefully I will finish at least this series by the end of August but I'm not sure. Usually I would get through a lot more in two months but I guess I've just been really busy recently. So now getting into the actual review....

Overall, as I have already said this book was pretty good and I especially like the last 200 pages. I read them all in one day, because I couldn't put the book down (for once). I also really liked the characters because some of my favs were still here obviously Dumbledore, Harry, Hermione, Ron, and Sirius. As well as some new ones were introduced Ludo Bagman, Viktor Krum, Fleur, Madame Maxine, Moody, Rita Skeeter, and many more. I really enjoyed learning a lot more about the wizarding world and about different schools and more about the Ministery of Magic itself. We also learned that apparently Butterbeer is somewhat alcoholic and is strong for house elves, fun fact because I recently tried Butterbeer and am super excited every time it comes up.
      
So as I already mentioned I loved the characters. Mainly because I really really liked Sirius, Dumbeldore, and Hermione. They are all such great in depth characters and all are so helpful to Harry and smart. I want to say I really liked Moody but we never really got to know the real Moody so nevermind I guess. I just really liked how we got to know all the characters so much better and how they were all so nice and caring. I also loved Cedric's character and the ending upset me so much because he was such a great guy. A great seeker and a kind man who helped Harry, supported him, and never blamed him. Awww the ending though (no spoilers), but I was sooo upset :( I also really enjoyed how we got to meet so many more characters because we were introduced to two new schools. I also want to say how much Hermione has grown/achieved in this book. She basically managed to help Harry figure out everything about everyone and the tournament, do all her school work, fix her teeth, basically get Viktor Krum, and start a campaign to help house elves. Like jeez, she did even more than Harry! ;)

Now moving on to the plot. Honestly this book was much better plot wise than the other three I've read mainly because I enjoyed reading more parts when they weren't trapped in Hogwarts. For example the first like 150 pages were about the big Quidditch match, and they were very useful for us to get a bach ground for Krum, Bagman, and Crouch. I also really enjoyed how everything came together in this book. I've noticed that the Harry Potter series is not just Fantasy and Adventure as everybody says but it is also a really big mystery/solving crime series. Because Harry and his friends are constantly trying to solve a mystery or discover something. And as a mystery series a lot of things have to be planted in other section for it to work, and it does; completely. At the end I was reading and I was just thrilled when Barty Crouch gen 2 (his son) was recounting the story and everything made sense. How things were going missing, how his elf held his hair for him, who cast the dark mark, and more. It just made sense. I really appreciate when authors put meaning into everything they write and in this book I can definitely say that J.K Rowling did. I had absolutely no questions at all when I was done.

6
I am excited to read the next book and learn more about the new characters, the new settings, and more. I am also hoping that we get a chance to see the other two schools in close up and that something will happen with Krum and Hermione, I ship it! ;) (Dkm, I know about her and Ron, Aha) So yea I'd love to learn more about Beauxbatons and Durmstrang as well as the many new characters. I think this is also the first book in which two major events took place; the Triwizard tournament, as well as something else (major spoiler). And this is also the book in which a lot of new information is introduced and your perception of the wizarding world grows a lot. I feel like the books are maturing a lot and are starting to include more mature content, that satisfies my age category better. A good examply is now we are dealing more with loss, deaths (sadly), romance, and anger. There were many fights and tests of friendship in this book, as well as an introduction to romance. Wink wink. As well a few characters actually died while the events were taking place, and Harry nearly died again.

I should probably touch upon on the Triwizarding tournament because that was what the majority of this book was about, as well as Moody. So the tournament was basically a contest that involved participants from 3 schools and 3 champions originally. These champions have to complete three tasks and the winner gets a lot of money and pride. You are supposed to only be able to enter is you are 17 but somebody enters Harry and he becomes the 4th champion, somehow... They have to undergo 3 events, battling dragons, rescuing friends from the bottom of a lake, and then reaching the centre of a maze. This is all fine until the last two people decide to tie and both are put in danger. That's the basic jist of it and if I say any more it's going to spoil everything. Professor Moody also plays a major role in this book. He is the students' new defence against the dark arts teacher and has a particular liking towards Harry.

Overall, this was a much more exciting, informational, and content packed novel than the rest and I much enjoyed it. I would recommend this book to 9-12 year olds who love fantasy and mystery as well as reading about competitions and friendships. I would probably rate it 8.6/10 stars because it was better than the other three but still not as good as some of the other books I have read.

Thank you so much for reading my reviews as always!!! - <3 Kat 

No comments:

Post a Comment