Tuesday 25 October 2016

Every Day Review:

Hey guys! I know that I don't post as often as I would like but I'll have you know that having math and science in one semester isn't easy. AND you get a ton of homework... How are you guys doing? Lots of homework? Anyways this month I was actually pretty unproductive with reading but I did go to both a book signing and a debate tournament in Montreal so that was fun, and super stressful. The one book I fully finished was actually Every Day and I only finished it today. Technically I also finished Gemma, which is like one story out of two that is in Replica by Lauren Oliver. But I just didn't have time to finish the other story, Lyra. I am also planning to read The Romantics by November 1st because I feel super bad as I got an arc of this book from NetGalley in July and I've just had such an intense tbr that I've had like no time to read it. The only reason I still haven't was because I had to read Replica for the book signing and Every Day for the October book club, which was actually supposed to be yesterday but we convinced them to change it to Friday.

Okay so sorry guys for that whole intro about me being busy with school and books, and math homework... But let's go into the real reason behind this post. I just finished the October Book Club book: Every Day by David Leviathan.

To start off I actually really enjoyed this book, much more than I originally expected and also more than most of the other book club books that I hadn't read before. This takes on a completely new approach to the challenge of travelling. But what is usually the challenge, time travelling, is changed and here it's actually body travelling. They pose a lot of the same challenges to a person's life; being very inconsistent, hard to find a family and friends, always being disoriented, ect. But in this case A literally had no body.

This book is about a character named A, he waked up every single day in somebody else's body. He has no gender, no name, no family, and no body. There are many obvious issues with this like not being able to have friends, or any relationship. But there are also many issues that are unseen to most people, if they were in this situation. A always has to consider what the person would do, who's body he is inhabiting, he always has to make sure not to change anything, and most of all he can't tell anybody about his situation. A has to suffer through this for about 16 years, but he has learnt to deal with it and live life the only way he can, when he meets Rhiannon. He first meets her as her boyfriend, who's body he inhabits one day, and she intrigues him so much that he keeps meeting her intentionally and not. I can't say much else after that because it would be spoilery. But this book deals with a lot of issues regarding seeing yourself in a certain way, but the main one being the aspects of A's life that he has to deal with and all the conflicts he has to resolve. I really, really enjoyed this book and would probably give it an 8.5/10. It's a pretty short read but it involves a lot of deep messages and new, intriguing plot points and characters.

I absolutely loved the characters and settings of this book. The main two characters A and Rhiannon were both so lovable and kind, as well as smart and so adventurous. The novel was written from A's point of view and it was super interesting how he saw the world, and what lessons he learned from all his "travelling" as well as because he was just such a kind individual who didn't want to cause harm to anybody and had high morals and beliefs of helping everyone. I liked Rhiannon a little less just because since she didn't have the same experiences as A she wasn't as "wise" and "kind-souled" but for someone who was always on one place surrounding by the same people, she notices and cares more about other people than most people I know. They are both such amazing role models, and in my opinion lead the whole book to be better. Because I was obviously so in love with the characters everything else didn't really seem to matter.

However, the plot and setting where also super amazing. The settings were all over the place as A's life was constantly changing but throughout part of the book he always had one destination, Rhiannon. So therefore a lot of the book took place in her city, at her school, and in libraries and the Starbucks near her. But honestly the setting didn't play that much of a role, but it was mainly the people. The memorable people who were in A's life had a huge impact on his character, as well as his decision making skills and caring personality. Another thing that was pretty major in this book was the plot. I really enjoyed all the obstacles and "road bumps", that David Leviathan planted in this book. I personality didn't like the ending very much and it really surprised me. But within 10 pages I saw it coming. There is also an evil pope person in this book, who really freaks me out... Lmao. Many parts of the book and plot surprised me but some were expected, which is a thing I didn't really like, but because of the amazing flow and character development I didn't really mind that much.

Overall, I think that this book deserves the rating it has on Goodreads if not maybe a bit higher. I was a fast and pleasant read as I couldn't put it down, and it was only 322 pages. My favourite character in this book was A but I really liked all the characters. And even though the ending was not the one I wanted, it was realistic and felt genuine, as did the whole book. I think that there will be a lot to discuss about this book on Friday so make sure to check out my book club report then. I would recommend this book to any Ya contemporary novel lover who is looking for a slight twist or interesting aspect. It was an overall great read, and I highly recommend to everyone. Thank you so much to all my readers, for continuing to read my posts! - Kat Hearts

(Some inspirational quotes for you below: )

No comments:

Post a Comment