Monday 18 July 2016

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Review:

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is the third book in the Harry Potter series by J.K Rowling. And as you all probably know by now, I am reading this series for the first time, ever! I know, you're all probably very disappointed in me but I'm finally doing it. I just wanted to say like I have said before I really wish I didn't stop reading this series the first time I started in like grade 4, and that I would most recommend this series to kids in elementary/middle school, probably grade 4-7. I know a lot of people say that anybody can read this series and it'll always be super good but honestly I disagree reading it now, maybe it's because I'm only on book 4 right now. I like the characters and the world development but overall the plot is starting to get repetitive for me. Now getting into my actual review...

I actually did enjoy this book more than the second book in the series mainly I think because of all the mystery and then the resolution concerning Sirius Black, I love him lmao. Honestly he's now officially my favourite character in this series. I also loved learning more about the centre for death, Azkaban, the most evil prison ever and the dementors that even Harry, who's almost never scared of anything, not always a good thing aha, is scared of...

Okay so then let's start off with the new and old characters... Well there's Harry, Ron, and Hermione who I'm obviously a big fan of. But there are also two new characters introduced who I really enjoyed Professor Lupin, and Sirius Black. I know most of all already read this book and all the others and know all about what's going to happen and everything... But me I'm just really really hoping that Sirius Black gets freed that Harry can go and live with him, because just like everybody I think the Dursley's are completely horrible. The Dursley's are Harry's human family who absolutely hate him and treat him like trash most of the time. I also want to mention how much Hermione actually grew in just 3 books from being a complete goody goody and teacher's pet to like the mastermind behind all of the trio's plots, I absolutely loved it. She's so smart and talented and I love how both her parent's aren't wizards and people keep bringing it up, but she's smarter and better than like all of the students in her year. She's also soo loyal and brave it breaks my heart. And when in the 2nd book she gets petrified by the evil monster (notice no spoiler there, hehe), I was so upset just because she was left out of part of the book. Also I want mention how much more I hate Malfoy now that we see his father too, ugh this guy just keeps sticking his head in other people's business, why didn't he get petrified. I also absolutely love the part when Hermione slaps him, ahaha I was so happy. And out of the teachers I obviously very dislike Snape, and my favourite teachers are Proffesor McGonagall and Proffesor Dumbeldore.

5Moving on to the plot, setting, and story. Honestly this is the one part I get iffy on. When I'm reading the book I like the characters and I like the plot and all the mysterys but to me as a reader if something new doesn't get introduced I start to loose interest. And I know a lot of people will disagree but I found the Hogwarts setting kind of boring, at first it was like oo a huge castle and now that they've explored like everything in it and were basically trapped in it the whole 3rd book it's start to wear on me. Also they constantly have something to look forward too and have to constantly fight monsters and solve mysteries, while breaking tons of rules, that for some reason the teachers can't solve. To me this seems a bit unrealistic because really the teachers have so much ore experience, they actually care, and they make rules for a reason. Harry constantly getting in trouble because he breaks the rules and puts himself in a life-threatening situation is also somewhat annoying. Like at first it was cool and now it's just really repetitive.

So as you can tell for me personally there was a lot of good and some not so much in this book, and the series overall. For a 2nd time I have been debating dropping it because when I'm not reading it I don't really want to but when I am I don't want to stop. This has never happened to me before and it's a very weird feeling. But I know that this time I have to finish it because no matter what I'm always going to be left out of things and the amazing Harry Potter Universe if I don't. As well a couple people told me that it gets better, and that the 4th and 5th books are the best and that there is some romance involved, hopefully finally (I have no clue, because they didn't spoil), so I will keep reading and try to catch on to what everybody else is feeling, and if I don't oh well... At least I know what they'll be talking about. So my final words are...

As I said I personally really liked the characters (not just the humans) and this whole world that J.K. Rowling has created, the original wizarding world... With all the settings that people talk about and Azkaban, the giant evil prison, as well as just how easily I believe that this world could actually exist within our normal muggle world. The things I mentioned that don't appeal as much to me are the plot, to me it just sometimes seems like it is repeating itself, but I know that most people have read it and feel differently. So I feel comfortably sharing my honest opinions, my overall is still not completely determined, but I know that I would give it probably 8.2/10 stars and I would mainly recommend this to anyone who loves fantasy in grades 4-7.

Thanks for reading my review,
As always,
- Kat Hearts

No comments:

Post a Comment