Monday 18 July 2016

June Teen Book Club Report:

A little late sorry... lol  Honestly I only started my blog mid July, so I didn't think to take notes or anything and now it's July 18th and it's been three weeks and I am racking my brain trying to remember what we talked about, sorry about that. Oh I remembered some things...

I remember that we all had to read Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Or the Scorer's stone for all you lazy Americans, jk). And that is how I started reading the Harry Potter for the second time. You can see me newest Harry Potter book #3 review here: and in many others I have mentioned how I am finally reading most of it for the first time ever. I started it in grade 4 and ditched it after the first 1.5 books, don't judge. Well I'm doing better this time as you can see I'm already starting the 4th book. Anyways I remember that at this particular meeting there weren't as many people as usual, because school was just ending, there were graduations to go to for some (Grade 8s and 12s) and so our little room was 60% empty :(. But it's okay we still had a pretty good discussion about our recent reads and about Harry Potter. I specifically asked them not to spoil anything because I hadn't read the whole series yet. So they didn't, luv them! <3

Anyways I remember that somebody mentioned that it had two different titles; Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone (Canada and UK) and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (United States). And we got into this whole debate about why. Nobody could really understand why Sorcerer's Stone is easier to understand than Philosopher's stone because it honestly doesn't make any sense to change it. I think we decided to say that Americans just associate Philosophy with some deep understanding of mental illnesses and human emotions, so sorry Americans but as bad as that is that was our only solution... That they changed the name so that it would sell better in the US. I also found this hilarious answer on Yahoo and I agree: "The book was originally called "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" but when the book came over to the US the publishers changed the title because they believed that Americans would not understand the concept of the philosopher's stone. ... I don't know why the publishers felt Americans would understand Sorcerer's Stone more, it really doesn't make sense ..." -Sarrs (yahoo answers member) Honestly same Sarrs, like wat even... they even changed the publisher going from Bloomsbury to Scholastic for the US version (pic below) ... very weird and I don't know if that's the actual reason or not but... ahahah it's hilarious


I don't remember much else other than that we went over the plot of the book and talked about which house we would all be. And everybody was torn. Out of 6 people we had zero Slytherins, 1 Gryffindor, 1 Hufflepuff, 2 Ravenclaw, and 2 undecided. One of the undecided was either a Huffleclaw or Gryffinclaw mix and the other was me. I just said that I felt like I was Gryffindor because I did, but at that moment I had only read the 1st book and felt I shouldn't really judge because I would be really biased as the book is mainly from Gryffindor's point of view. But now that I have read 3 whole HP books I still stick to that. I'm pretty sure I am a Gryffindor, maybe with a bit of Ravenclaw, but Gryffindor all the same! (But not super smart like Hermione, nope, I wish... psh) Also a shoutout to my friend Julia for joining our meeting halfway through (after I persuaded her), very brave, thanks!  :)

29056083We also talked a bit about the new book coming out: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. All I know is that it is written like a play, I think. And the events take place when Harry Potter is an adult, I also think. So actually I really don't know much... I know that it is coming out July 31st, 2016 and that is why we read the first book and discussed, in honour of the new one coming out.  I was trying desperately to get on-board and read all the books before the new one came out, but I had to anyways for book club so that's literally the only reason I think I did, but looking back I am so thankful. I probably won't have read all of them by the release date, but hopefully at least 4 and that's good enough for me. I wanted to read it before the release because there's going to be a really fun HPCC themed event and I won't be able to  participate fully since I don't know everything about HP like normal people do... But at least I'll know what's going on because I was gonna go anyways, and by then I've probably read 4 books maybe more.  (I still have all those other tbr july/august books I have to read, so I better finish HP fast... aha)

I also wanted to mention that at the end of each book club meeting we each recommend a book we read recently and then it gets posted on their website. (websites make life so much easier, I would've forgotten by now, which I did) I also wanted to mention that we meet once a month on the last Monday of every month. I'm also writing this because I'm probably going to be at a sleepover camp next week and that's the book club week and I'm really really upset because I just realised but what can you do? Anyways here are our recommendations for June:
Me - A Court of Mist and Fury by: Sarah J. Maas (Obviously :), review here:) 
Ju**a - Mind Games by: Kiersten White
Je**r - The Bamboo Sword by: Margi Preus
Sr**i - The Book Thief by: Markus Zusak
An**y - The Nest by: Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney
El**th - Poison Study by: Maria Snyder

I'm still kind of confused though is the new one written like a book or like a play? Are you excited for the new one? I'd love to hear anything, anything, I don't bite! Until next time...

- Kat Hearts <3

No comments:

Post a Comment